So just a few questions before I head out to vote on Tuesday. And I pray that no matter how others feel about the candidates or politics or the issues, millions still vote. After all, countless people have died to preserve my rights and voting is one. So here goes:
- Do I have to vote? No, it is my right to vote or to not vote. But then can I really complain about the outcome if I choose to skip it?
- Will I take the time to find both those views with which I agree and disagree with all candidates? Yes, I am sure all candidates have both.
- Can I accept there is politics in all parts of my life here on earth, no matter the relationship? Remembering that may help me better understand some of the decisions that elected leaders make. Short of sin, the rest are different views and nothing else.
- Ok, not all my relationships here on earth include politics. There are times though when I try to bargain some with God to pass my agenda.
- Can anyone get elected without God allowing it to happen? And if my answer is no:
- Are the persons elected in my area, my representative, my mayor, my governor … only if “my” person wins?
- Can I show respect for those elected as being placed there by God?
- Can I pray for those elected?
- Can I accept those that God has placed into office as being his representatives?
Hard questions–but they are only for me. Sometimes politics gets to me. I can become cynical or negative. I can see myself as superior to others only because they believe differently than I do.
Here is yet another part of my life I need to turn over to God and ask for reassurance of his protection. No matter how I perceive the election outcomes may affect me, God’s Word is always true. I know that words are used in politics to inform, convince, mislead, hurt and other similar reasons. God’s Word is different.
We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, for those who are called according to his purpose, For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor rulers, neither things present nor things to come, nor powerful forces, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:28, 38-39. EHV
Thanks for your time. I hope you come back to read some more. I will wait you. Have a good November 6th.
If the results of the elections still get to you, maybe this song can bring a smile.